Friday, December 10, 2010

We've got a thumb sucker!

As of only yesterday Zelda has realized that she has a thumb and that it tastes better than the rest of her hand. It is super cute, but I see $$$ for orthodontic work in the future!

On a different note Zelda has been diagnosed with Torticollis, which is a muscle in her neck being too tight causing her to favor holding her head in one direction and making a flat spot on the back of her head. The doctor also said her face is slightly asymmetrical. She is going to be starting physical therapy next week and in the future may have to wear a helmet. Next week she is also getting an ultrasound on her hips to make sure she doesn't have hip dysplasia. The new doctor that we saw yesterday said she should have had the ultrasound when she was 2-3 weeks old. Needless to say I am super pissed at our old ped and we won't be going back to her. I made the appointment with the other ped in the practice because I thought something was wrong with her head and the new ped took one look at her and said, "yup she has torticollis". All stuff the original ped should have caught. Keeping everything in perspective we still have a super happy, healthy baby and could not be happier!

Caught in the act!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for self-soothing babies! She is so cute!

    Lili has some of the same stuff going on. We had PT for her neck range of motion and head flat spot yesterday, and go again in a month. I wouldn't worry about the hip ultrasound timing, though. Our neonatologist said to do it at 3 to 4 months for breech babies and our pediatrician said the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does make me feel a slight bit better! And I didn't know this, but I guess hip dysplasia is hereditary and my mom has it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hereditary, more common in girls, and I think especially in first born girls. I had it. I'm feeling lucky that there's only one we're watching for it.

    ReplyDelete